The present tense of -ir

Le présent des verbes en -ir


We studied the -er verbs in the fi rst chapter. Now, let’s explore the -ir and -re
verbs. Th e -ir verbs follow two diff erent conjugation patterns.
Type 1 verbs drop the -ir of the infi nitive, add an -iss- to the plural form, and
then insert the appropriate ending.
choisir to choose
je choisis I choose nous choisissons we choose
tu choisis you choose vous choisissez you choose
il/elle choisit he/she chooses ils/elles choisissent they choose
Many other verbs follow the same conjugation.
accomplir to accomplish nous accomplissons we accomplish
adoucir to soft en, nous adoucissons we soft en,
to mellow we mellow
agrandir to enlarge nous agrandissons we enlarge
applaudir to applaud nous applaudissons we applaud
bâtir to build nous bâtissons we build
bénir to bless nous bénissons we bless
éclaircir to lighten, to clear nous éclaircissons we lighten, we clear
s’épanouir to bloom, nous nous we bloom,
to blossom épanouissons we blossom
s’évanouir to faint nous nous we faint
évanouissons
fi nir to fi nish nous fi nissons we fi nish
grandir to grow up nous grandissons we grow up
grossir to put on weight nous grossissons we put on weight
investir to invest nous investissons we invest
maigrir to lose weight nous maigrissons we lose weight
mincir to slim down nous mincissons we slim down
obéir to obey nous obéissons we obey
pâlir to turn pale nous pâlissons we turn pale
rafraîchir to refresh nous rafraîchissons we refresh
ralentir to slow down nous ralentissons we slow down
réfl échir to think, to refl ect nous réfl échissons we think, we refl ect
remplir to fi ll nous remplissons we fi ll
réussir to succeed nous réussissons we succeed
rougir to blush nous rougissons we blush
saisir to seize nous saisissons we seize
vieillir to grow old nous vieillissons we grow old

Type 2 -ir verbs drop the -ir of the infi nitive, then add the appropriate ending, without the
-iss- in the nous and vous forms. Th ese groups of -ir verbs can be termed irregular. Let’s look at
the examples below:
sortir to go out
je sors I go out nous sortons we go out
tu sors you go out vous sortez you go out
il/elle sort he/she goes out ils/elles sortent they go out
Study the fi rst-person conjugations of the following -ir verbs.
bouillir to boil je bous I boil nous bouillons we boil
courir to run je cours I run nous courons we run
couvrir to cover je couvre I cover nous couvrons we cover
cueillir to pick je cueille I pick nous cueillons we pick
dormir to sleep je dors I sleep nous dormons we sleep
fuir to fl ee je fuis I fl ee nous fuyons we fl ee
mentir to lie je mens I lie nous mentons we lie
mourir to die je meurs I die nous mourons we die
obtenir to get j’obtiens I get nous obtenons we get
off rir to off er j’off re I off er nous off rons we off er
ouvrir to open j’ouvre I open nous ouvrons we open
partir to leave je pars I leave nous partons we leave
sentir to feel, je sens I feel, I smell nous sentons we feel,
to smell we smell
servir to serve je sers I serve nous servons we serve
souffrir to suffer je souffre I suffer nous souff rons we suffer